The Student Health Insurance Office is located in the Health and Wellness Center at 450 Brook St. Brown University is proud to offer our students who do not have coverage through a comparable health insurance plan, coverage through United Healthcare Student Resources. The SHIP includes a national provider network that gives students access to in network providers throughout the country and In-Network Preventive care services with no deductibles, copays or coinsurance. The cost of the SHIP plan for the 22-23 academic year is $4255. The cost of the insurance will appear on your student account in Banner. Any billing questions can be directed to email@example.com.
Through SHIP, students may qualify for Medical Evacuation, Repatriation & Travel Assistance Services. Any treatment received while abroad will be billed according to the out-of-network benefit.
Please email any questions regarding your policy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University Health & Wellness
Attn: Student Insurance
Providence, RI 02912
Brown University offers a Student Dental Insurance Plan through Delta Dental of Rhode Island.
- All doctoral and MFA students with a financial support package from the University are automatically enrolled in the Student Dental Insurance Plan.
- For students not automatically enrolled in the Student Dental Insurance Plan, view rates and benefits of the plan, and enroll online through the Delta Dental website.
- The plan has an annual premium of $261.36 for the 2022-2023 academic year (August 15, 2022 to August 14, 2023). The deadline for students to enroll themselves in 2022-2023 annual coverage is September 30, 2022.
- The deadline for enrolling dependents for 2022-2023 annual coverage is September 15, 2022.
- For students who matriculate in January 2023, spring-only coverage is available from January 15 - August 14, 2023. The Delta Dental website enrollment portal will open from December 1, 2022 through February 15, 2023. Spring matriculants may enroll themselves and dependents.
Find additional information in the Student Dental Plan Information Pamphlet. Doctoral and MFA students who receive dental coverage through their financial support packages from the University receive a 75% subsidy on the annual premium cost of enrolling dependents.
Health Insurance Coverage for Dependents
Dependents of graduate students may be enrolled in SHIP at an additional cost. Eligible dependents include a legal spouse or domestic partner, children up to the age of 26, or a child born while the graduate student is covered by SHIP. A spouse or partner is generally expected to be living with the covered student in order to be eligible for coverage. Students will submit documentation of marriage or domestic partner status through the Gallagher website and will be contacted by Gallagher if additional information is needed.
Dependents can be enrolled during the annual open enrollment period (for Fall 2022, the dependent enrollment deadline is September 23, 2022) or within 30 days of a qualifying life event. Qualifying life events that allow for enrollment outside of the annual window include:
- Birth of child (this allows for enrollment of the child - not a spouse)
- Loss of coverage under another insurance plan
- Spouse entering the U.S. for the first time
Dependents of graduate students may be enrolled in Delta Dental coverage at an additional cost. Eligible dependents include a legal spouse or domestic partner, children up to the age of 26, or a child born while the graduate student is covered by the Delta Dental plan. A spouse or partner is generally expected to be living with the covered student in order to be eligible for coverage. Doctoral and MFA students who receive dental coverage through their financial support packages from the University receive a 75% subsidy on the annual premium cost of enrolling dependents.
To enroll a dependent, complete the appropriate enrollment form below and email it to email@example.com before September 15, 2022. If paying by check, you will also need to mail a check to the address provided in the form.
- Doctoral and MFA students who receive dental coverage through their financial support package: Dental Dependent Enrollment 22-23 -Subsidy, Form 6416
- All other students (those not receiving a University subsidy): Dental Dependent Enrollment 22-23 -No Subsidy, Form 8625