Health & Wellness
Health Services

Health Requirements for New Undergraduate Students

Your first interaction with Health Services will be the health requirements that you must meet as an incoming student, which will begin our partnership in caring for your health while you are at Brown.

The deadline for submission is July 1 for first year, transfer and RUE students (January 2nd for mid year transfers).

If you haven't done so already, activate your Brown account. You will need your Banner identification number in order to activate your electronic services. This number was assigned to you when you applied for admission to Brown. If you need additional assistance, please contact the Computing Accounts and Passwords Office at 401-863-4357.

For continuity of care, we request that students forward their past medical records for any chronic, ongoing or serious medical condition. If you have a copy you can upload to the Brown Health Services Patient Portal. If you are unable to upload, fax the forms to 401-863-3321 or mail to: 

Brown University Health Services
Box 1928
Providence, RI 02912

If you have any questions about the health requirements, please refer to Frequently Asked Questions before contacting us.

A checklist is provided for your convenience.

Steps 1-3 are required for all students:

In order to attend Brown University, all students must comply with the State of Rhode Island immunization requirements. If you are missing any of the required immunizations, you will be contacted by

  • Print the Brown Immunization Record form and have it completed by your medical provider. We will also accept official immunization records from your provider, previous school, or health department.
  • To Submit: log into Brown Health Services Patient Portal
    • Select “Immunizations” to manually enter each corresponding immunization date.
    • Select “upload” to submit your immunization documents.

We will also accept official immunization records from your provider, previous school or health department.

Log into the Brown Health Services Patient Portal.

  • Select “Forms” and complete the following in the “New Students” section:
    • Brown Consent to Share Health Information
    • Authorization for Medical Care and Treatment Form
    • Health History Form
    • TB screening Form 
      • Depending on your answers, some students may require TB testing. If required, print the TB Screening Documentation Form for completion by your medical provider and upload to the patient portal.
  • Log into the Brown Health Services Patient Portal
    • Select Upload
    • Select Medical Insurance Card and/or Prescription Benefit Card, if applicable
    • Upload a copy of both sides of your card

If your insurance changes in the future, please upload a copy of your new card or bring the card to Health Services so we can update your information.

Steps 4-5 are only for intercollegiate varsity athletes:

This form is required if you intend to participate in varsity intercollegiate athletics. In compliance with NCAA regulations, we cannot clear a student to practice or participate in any team sport without a completed history and physical on file.

  • Print and complete page 1 of the Sports Physical form
  • Your medical provider must complete page 2 of the form
  • Log into the Brown Health Services Patient Portal
    • Select Upload
    • From the pull down menu, select Sports Physical Form
    • Attach a copy of your form (pages 1 and 2) and upload

A Sickle Cell screening test is required for NCAA athletes. We also will accept hemoglobin electrophoresis.