UNIVERSITY OPERATIONS REGARDING COVID-19
COVID Tests and K95 Mask Availability On Campus
Students are encouraged to bring a supply of COVID-19 tests with them to campus to keep them on hand for use during the semester. Tests are available for free through the government’s COVID-19 testing program or by purchasing them at local pharmacies.
The University will continually have high-quality KN95 masks and COVID-19 test kits available on campus at no cost for all students — undergraduate, graduate and medical — at the Key Office in Grad Center E. The office will be open 24 hours/day, 7 days/week, and students can pick up masks and test kits at their convenience.
I tested positive for COVID-19
Brown University requires that community members who test positive for COVID-19 self-isolate for a period of five (5) days. The 5-day period applies regardless of previous infection, vaccination or booster status, and the presence or absence of symptoms.
To self report a positive COVID test:
Please visit: https://patientportal.brown.edu
In the *COVID-19 Forms section
Complete the “COVID Positive Student Form”
You will be sent information with isolation guidelines via secure message
- Brown University requires that community members who test positive for COVID-19 self-isolate for a period of five (5) days. The 5-day period applies regardless of previous infection, vaccination or booster status, and the presence or absence of symptoms.
- To calculate your 5-day isolation period, day 0 is your first day of symptoms OR your asymptomatic positive test date (whichever is earlier).
- Day 1 is the first full day after your symptoms developed or positive test result.
- Students may end isolation (without a negative rapid antigen test) 5 full days after testing positive if they are fever-free for 24 hours (without the use of fever-reducing medication) and symptoms are improving.
- If you are able to end isolation on day 5, it is important to wear a well-fitting mask around others for 5 additional days, even at home.
- If students have been very sick from COVID-19 and your symptoms and fever are not improving or you have a weakened immune system, isolation is recommended for at least 10 days.
- Students in on-campus Brown housing who test positive will isolate in their residence hall room, while adhering to COVID-19 safety protocols like masking and sanitization if they have roommates or suitemates. Roommates or suitemates who test negative may remain in their room or stay with a friend or family who may be in the area.
- Undergraduate, graduate and medical school students who live off campus and test positive will isolate at their off-campus residence.
Questions regarding housing situations may be directed to Residential Life at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any non-emergent health related questions or concerns, nursing advice is available 24/7 by calling 401-863-3953.
If you develop any emergency signs or symptoms of COVID seek immediate emergency medical care by contacting DPS at 401-863-4111. Notify dispatch that you are having symptoms of COVID-19 and require EMS be sent to your location.
If you have any questions about COVID related care and services that may be available to you during your isolation period, please email nursing at email@example.com or call Health Services at 401-863-3953.